St Columba's is situated in the leafy cosmopolitan suburb of Parkview, a
short walk from Zoo Lake and near the Johannesburg Zoo at 45 Lurgan Rd
and opposite a small park with a playground. The traditional stone
Church with its stained glass rose window and other stained glass
windows, created by leading artists, is flanked by a well-tended Garden
of Remembrance and fronted by a small courtyard garden with a fountain
and fishpond. Its tranquil exterior belies all the activities that take
place within the Church walls and beyond.
The Church was founded in 1921 and has grown to nearly 1500 people
from all walks of life on the membership roll. At least the same number
of people regard St Columba’s as their own church and feel comfortable
in calling on its ministers in times of need.
Eminent ministers in the past have included Padre Robertson, the Reverend
Emlyn Jones, the Reverend Dr Jack Dalziel, the Reverend Granville Morgan and
the Reverend Dr Alan Maker. The tradition set by them continues in the
ministry of Martin Young and Stephen van Schalkwyk, together with
Minister-in-Association, Professor Hansie Wolmarans, all of whom combine
fine relevant preaching with a compassionate and caring pastoral ministry.
Our ministers work continuously to bring hope, encouragement and guidance
and a warm human empathy to the many who call on them. They reach out to
many sectors of the community in Johannesburg, give talks at various venues
and lay particular emphasis on contacting youth and members of the wider
The ministers are supported in their work by a Session of some 80 elders,
by the members, an Executive and the various committees committed to the
life and work of St Columba’s. The work of these committees is described in
more detail further along our web site. St Columba's aims to be relevant in
the current South Africa, to attract new members from all racial groups and
to be caring, not only for its own members but also those less fortunate –
at all time proclaiming and demonstrating God's love and grace.